8 Things Landlords NEED to Know about Benefits (‘DSS’)

Universal Credit is rolling out across the UK, with huge consequences for landlords and tenants – yet many are still in the dark about what the new benefit system means for them.

Universal Credit (UC) is the new way the government pays out housing benefit, plus five other legacy benefits including, jobseeker’s allowance and child benefit. But what does this change mean to your tenancy?

Here to tell us is Ruth Robertson, an Early Intervention Coordinator at Brighton & Hove City Council, where UC has been claimed since 2015.

1. How often is UC paid to tenants?

“UC is paid monthly. Because claimants are paid everything in one payment like a wage, they are more able to budget payments. A further advantage of being paid monthly is that they are able to make a monthly payment to the landlord; unlike Housing benefit which is paid either fortnightly or 4 weekly.”

2. What are the differences in how UC is paid from council to council?

“Universal Credit is paid from central government and so will be paid in the same way from area to area. The amount that claimants can claim for the ‘housing element’ will be different in each area. The housing element is the same as the Local Housing Allowance rate for that area.”

You can find your local housing allowance rate here.

3. Can UC – or the housing element of it – be paid directly to me, the landlord?

Yes. The client [tenant] can request what is called an ‘alternative payment arrangement’. These payments can be arranged to be made directly to the landlord.

“A client can also arrange a standing order to be made to a landlord account on the day that the benefit is paid. This way rent is paid before any other money is taken out.

“Some banks such as the Credit Union have accounts called ‘jam jar’ accounts, which separate money for rent and bills from spending money. Landlords can ask if a potential tenant is signed up to an account like this before agreeing a tenancy and ask that a direct debit be set up.”

4. If UC is paid in arrears, then how can my tenants pay their rent in advance?

“Tenants can apply for rent in advance from the local council department to cover rent in advance. Usually these payments are made within a few days of applications being made and are usually paid before the tenancy starts. Payments can be made directly to the landlord at the client’s [tenant’s] request.

“Tenants should apply to the Housing benefit team for this – it is a separate payment to the Universal Credit. They do not have to repay the payment, and they can apply for up to 6 weeks’ rent in advance.”

5. I want my tenancy to be 12 months minimum. How long is my tenant guaranteed to receive their UC payments?

“Similar to Job seekers allowance, Universal Credit requires clients to keep to an agreement to look for work whilst claiming Universal Credit.

“This agreement is called a ‘claimant commitment’. If the ‘claimant commitment’ is maintained, a claim will be ongoing. The only other reason a claim would stop, would be due to a significant change of circumstances such as starting a job. Job centres have work coaches who can support clients to maintain their claims.”

6. If I rent to a benefit fraud, will I have to pay back all the rent I collected?

“A landlord will not be expected to pay back the housing element unless they are in some way complicit in the fraud.

“If a landlord is being paid directly and they are aware that a tenant has moved out and they continue to get payments, then this will result in an overpayment and the landlord could be asked to repay the over paid amount.”

You may be asked to repay some or all of an overpayment by Universal Credit, if you’ve:

  • misrepresented or failed to disclose relevant information
  • been paid more than the rental liability amount
  • received payments after the claimant has moved out

7. If a tenant is claiming UC, how do they know their budget for renting properties?

“Tenants will be aware of the value of the housing element at their initial interview. They will be given a breakdown of their entitlement on their online journal.

“Broadly speaking the housing element is the same as the Local Housing Allowance (housing benefit) rate.”

8. What circumstances would cause my tenant to lose their UC payments, and what can I do if this happens?

“Get in touch with the tenant as soon as possible to find out the reason. In some areas there will be support set up to help with tenancy breakdown.

For example, in Brighton there is an early intervention housing team. Landlords can work with the council for support provided this is arranged with the tenant at the start of the tenancy.”

Changes in circumstance such as tenants entering employment or children in the household becoming adults will affect UC payments, but the new system is designed so that payments only lessen if the claimant is earning more independent income (e.g. via working) or sees a drop in other expenses (such as a no longer caring for children in the household).

Ruth Robertson is an Early Intervention Coordinator at Brighton & Hove City Council Housing Needs, an area where Universal Credit has already been rolled out. If you are a landlord or tenant on Universal Credit in Brighton & Hove, you can contact her team here.

7 Replies to “8 Things Landlords NEED to Know about Benefits (‘DSS’)”

  1. i am living in private rented property claiming JSA. Recently a friend come to stay who was already claiming UC. Landlord notified. will this affect my JSA payments? thanks

  2. It is far better for the tenant to pay the landlord direct (using a monthly standing order or jam-jar account), rather than Universal Credit making direct payments to the landlord, because of the delay in receiving payments.

    You might think that UC would deduct the monthly rent payment from the tenant and then pay it to the landlord straight away. In reality, they send it to another team, who sit on it for a few weeks, and eventually get round to sending it up to two months later. This plays havoc with cash flow and makes it difficult to (a) know which period the payments are for and (b) react quickly if their UC entitlement stops or changes.

  3. I completely agree for two years I’ve been mucked around by Ealing Council late payments benefit suspended or random payments and I eventually after two months in arrears started eviction proceedings against my tenants who are a perfectly nice family as I could no longer cope with the strain and stress of trying to work out what Ealing Council were paying plus of course they believe it is their right to hold back my rental payment until they get round to looking into the claimants circumstances or the change of.

    I have now come to an arrangement with the tenant that she pays me the rental in full a month in advance as per contract for I’m no longer prepared to support her nor Ealing Council in what is let’s face it an interest-free loan !

    Enough is enough and if the government wants to ease homelessness then they should support and respect private landlords

  4. The trouble with the council’s benefit department is that they do not respect the landlord’s needs (such as require the rent to come in regularly so the mortgage is paid). They are a law unto themselves and they suspend the payment at the slightest of change (my self employed tenant’s money changed according what work he got). The first thing the council does is suspend the rent payment. I have a responsibility towards the tenant. This includes paying mortgage so I can keep them there.
    In the end I evicted them (legally of course) but due to the long delay in county court, it took nearly 6 months and loss of thousands of pounds in rent.
    If we are to treat DSS tenants as normal tenants, who is going to pay their deposit?

  5. I have a tenant on UC despite phone calls and a letter promising payment
    I have had no payment for eleven months despite constant phone calls
    and a formal complaint I am getting nowhere l don’t know where to go next
    can anyone help

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *