How to Increase the Rent by Serving a Section 13 Notice

How to use section 13 of the Housing Act to increase the rent of a tenancy.

What is a Section 13 Notice?

Section 13 is a way for landlords to increase the rent they charge for a property. It refers to Section 13 of the Housing Act (1988). 

Landlords can only use Section 13 for assured periodic tenancies. These are tenancies that are not within a fixed term. For example, the fixed term may have expired, meaning the tenancy has automatically become a periodic tenancy

Continue reading “How to Increase the Rent by Serving a Section 13 Notice”

Surrendering a Tenancy Agreement by Mutual Consent

End a tenancy agreement early using implied or express surrender of tenancy

There are two main ways to end a tenancy. The landlord or the tenant can serve notice, ending the tenancy according to the rules laid out in the contract. Alternatively, both the landlord and the tenant can agree to end the tenancy by mutual agreement.

In the first situation, the rules of the contract must be followed closely because only one party wants to end the tenancy, and the rules of the tenancy agreement are there to ensure this happens fairly and smoothly.

In the second, because both parties are happy to proceed according to new, agreed terms, the tenancy-ending mechanisms in the contract (e.g. how much notice to give) don’t have to be followed. This is called a surrender of tenancy.

Continue reading “Surrendering a Tenancy Agreement by Mutual Consent”